Since we have been here I haven't felt quite right. I couldn't really put my finger on it. It was just this feeling - like I was forgetting something important. Today I think I figured out what it is. We picked Payton up after school and headed for the beach. Earlier I surprised her at school to eat lunch. I was able to do that because Mike was home early. That would have never happened in North Carolina. His job here is completely different than being in the fleet. The past four years included two deployments to Iraq, various three month schools, and of course the trips that took him across the globe for days on end. Now this - home by noon? I think I have been waiting for the schedule to get harder, longer. As I sat on the sand watching my husband hold his children in the water I thought - wow, what a blessing this is. He gets to enjoy these next three years. He can participate in every holiday. He can surprise Payti at school. He can wake up with Wyatt at 6am (he is already doing that on occasion!) I feel very grateful to have him home. After going through the last fours years mostly without him I can truly appreciate and savor this time.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Home
Since we have been here I haven't felt quite right. I couldn't really put my finger on it. It was just this feeling - like I was forgetting something important. Today I think I figured out what it is. We picked Payton up after school and headed for the beach. Earlier I surprised her at school to eat lunch. I was able to do that because Mike was home early. That would have never happened in North Carolina. His job here is completely different than being in the fleet. The past four years included two deployments to Iraq, various three month schools, and of course the trips that took him across the globe for days on end. Now this - home by noon? I think I have been waiting for the schedule to get harder, longer. As I sat on the sand watching my husband hold his children in the water I thought - wow, what a blessing this is. He gets to enjoy these next three years. He can participate in every holiday. He can surprise Payti at school. He can wake up with Wyatt at 6am (he is already doing that on occasion!) I feel very grateful to have him home. After going through the last fours years mostly without him I can truly appreciate and savor this time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment