Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Payton's elephant

After watching Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer over Christmas Payton wanted to put the toy elephant in the movie on her wish list. I explained to her that just because it is in the movie doesn't mean it will be in the store. To which she replied, I know - we can make one! I don't exactly remember what possessed me to agree but I did. So Mike took her out and came home with material and stuffing. What transpired in the next day or two was a very sad attempt at creating this elephant. I admittedly am NOT a sewer. We got as far as a feeble attempt at some legs then used "we are moving soon" as an excuse and packed the supplies up in hopes that Payton would soon forget. Not my child.......... Perfect timing for Grammie to visit! So after settling in I kindly unpacked the box which held the sewing machine and all the materials we had purchased for said elephant. Of course we had the wrong material (amateurs I know!) but that was soon remedied with a trip to the store. Mom wanted to know what kind of pattern we were using......pattern you say? No, we were just winging it! Yes, this is why I don't sew! So Grammie went to work, creating her own pattern fashioned after a picture we found on the Internet (did you know you can purchase a plush elephant from the movie for a mere $300?) And voila! Here is what she ended up with:
Of course we had our little mishaps (yes, I did my share of ironing, stuffing, and cutting - just NO sewing!) But after a couple of minor fixes the final product was, well, dare I say adorable?
Payton was full of "oh thank you Grammie!" I love it!

That says it all. You can contact me for any orders.......just joking mom!


No comments: